Monday, October 10, 2011

S'mores Anyone?!

Well Mitchell left for IFS (Initial Flight Screening) this morning :( Yes, I'm bummed, but I'm trying to stay as positive and upbeat about it as possible! No sense in being down and depressed. Things could be far worse and he could be deployed for a long period of time in another country. Instead he's tucked safely away in Pueblo, CO and will be back in about 4 weeks! So while he's gone I have decided to clean the house from top to bottom, get some DIY projects done I've been dying to do for the past month or so, and get caught up on other little things I can get done while the hubs is away. I'll add a post later about the DIY's I'm planning on getting done as that will be a post all in itself!

On another note I made S'more goodies this weeked. Haha get it?! Anyways, I found another yummy baked goods recipe on Pinterest and went to work in the kitchen with my sweet husband before he left. Heres' the yummy recipe:

Photo and Recipe Credit:
Lovin' From the Oven

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 king-sized milk chocolate bars (e.g. Hershey’s)
  • 1 1/2 cups marshmallow creme/fluff (not melted marshmallows)
Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
  2. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light. Beat in egg and vanilla. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder and salt. Add to butter mixture and mix at a low speed until combined.
  3. Divide dough in half and press half of dough into an even layer on the bottom of the prepared pan. Place chocolate bars over dough. 2 king-sized Hershey’s bars should fit perfectly side by side, but break the chocolate (if necessary) to get it to fit in a single layer no more than 1/4 inch thick. Spread chocolate with marshmallow creme or fluff. Place remaining dough in a single layer on top of the fluff (most easily achieved by flattening the dough into small shingles and laying them together).
  4. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool completely before cutting into bars.

Makes 16 cookie bars.

This recipe turned out delicious! Here are some helpful tips though....when you make the bottom and top layer use your hands (I know some people might think this is unsanitary), its much too hard to use a spoon or spatula! Again, I only cooked mine for about 22 minutes and they came out perfectly, but I have a fast and uneven cooking oven. They are best served hot duh and are more than delicious! Here are some photos we took while baking:

Most of the ingredients!
 It took about 1.5 jars of Jet Puff 
Baking in action!

What it looks like after the second to last
layer (Jet-Puff)

After it's done!

Don't you love the mess baking entails?

YUMM!!!!
Here are some photos from our past week and this morning when Mitchell left....

He FINALLY got his flight suits :)

Packed and ready to go :(

Poor little Winston was so sad when his
daddy left and kept waiting
for him to come back :(


2 comments:

  1. I love how your "mess" when you cook looks like mine. Do you clean while cooking? It looks way too neat :) I am so OCD about my kitchen...and I can't even look at the picture of Winston...killing me! Can't wait to see all of your DIY projects!!! It's the perfect time for all of that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I do! My mom always taught me to "clean while you cook" because it makes the aftermath so much easier to put away ;) You caught me!

    ReplyDelete